Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Patient encounter 2: Lets Pray.

I was on call and cross-covering a patient on another team. I had received a change over that the patient was likely to die that night. I will call him Mr. X

Mr. X had been diagnosed 5 years earlier, with Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. He had been given less than 2 years to live as his disease was so extensive.

His family had all along known what was coming and It was no wonder that he was a DNR.

I was called to his bedside by the Nurse as Mr. X had gotten more short of breath and was now on supplimental oxygen by face mask. I briefly introduced myself and talked to him. I do not think he understood. I knew he was about to die. I then called his wife and informed her to come to her husband's bedside as this was it.

20minutes later she was there with her daughter. The time was 01.00am. He finally breathed his last at 05.12am.

His wife was devastated. His daughter uncontrollable emotionally.

I led them to a conference room nearby.

I was overwhelmed with their emotions. I had thought that it was going to be relatively easy to talk to them because they had spent quite sometime with him from the time of diagnosis and they knew what would happen.

Its never easy even when death is expected.

I asked them if they were believers.

Yes they were.

I asked for permission to pray with them.

Gladly they accepted.

We held hands and I offered a short prayer. It may have been just a minute or two but it was effective.

They quickly calmed down and started reliving some wonderful moments they had with him. They even talked about some of his favourite jokes. He was truly a great man as gathered from their recollection. He was a war veteran too!

I listened. Sometimes added a comment. I did not know the man before this night. I was simply caring for him as one of my colleague's patient but I was left richer by my interraction with this family.

I excused myself to attend to other patient duties.

It was not until 2 months later that I received a card in the mail from the two women: mother and daughter. They hed appreciated all the efforts we had done in taking care of their loved one. The phrase that touched me immensely is when they said:

"He (their loved one), could not have died at a better time and under your care (me). You eased the transition for us and we will be forever grateful, for it is doctors like you that make us have immense confidence in the health care system.You care. God bless you"

There were tears welling in my eyes and I relived the whole experience again.

There is never a good time to die but when you do, the little things that us health care professionals do become memorable by the deceased relatives' years to come and may impact them forever.

Chite.

No comments: